Saturday, December 31, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Thursday, December 29, 2011
- A key to a good cup of coffee, start with whole beans, grind with a burr grinder and then drip brew. These beans are called 454 Horsepower by Kicking Horse Coffee, dark and rich and so good. Be forewarned: don't tangle with this horse unless you're prepared to get bucked... Canon G11, 1/200 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 200, lots of LED lighting and converted to black and white using Silver Efex Pro 2 and Lightroom 3.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
MacArthur Mall rink in the right foreground. Photo 362 of this year's 365 project. For me it's 365 x 3 so that makes 1092 straight daily photos and blog posts - extreme project 365x3. Canon G11, 0.8 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 400 camera stabilized on the ledge of the Bank Street parking garage.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
- Yes we are guilty of having holiday salt and pepper shakers. Not one set mind you, but two. So here's the dilemma of the day, which one to hold salt and which to hold pepper. In each set one shaker has two holes and one has three. So I did what any right-minded web surfer would do, I asked Google. Well the jury is still out on this question. Seems there are strong camps on both sides, more holes for salt and more hole holes for pepper. I like lots of pepper so the three hole shaker got the ground pepper while the two hole shaker ended up with salt. Now there's one more opinion out on the web but mine has the cutest photograph. Canon G11, 1/320 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 400, in macro mode, two LED litpanels and nine overhead ceiling spot lights.
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Handy Manny. Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, 1/60 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 250 with flash.
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
Thursday, December 22, 2011
- I can't resist an old fashion metal Slinky.
The best present yet to give or get
The kids will all want to try.
The hit of the day when you're ready to play.
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.0, ISO 1000, olloclip fisheye lens, Camera+ app.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
Sunday, December 18, 2011
- Beach cruiser bikes for Christmas? Best Value Hardware 4801 Shore Drive in Virginia Beach, Virginia has all colors and several styles. iPhone 4, 1/161 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 80, Camera+ App, Vibrant FX Effect and Vignette Border applied.
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Friday, December 16, 2011
Thursday, December 15, 2011
- Yes I do. This is a Swingline Limited Edition Series 747 Rio Red Business Stapler a much appreciated going away gift from Philip Shucet. If you don't understand the significance of the Red Swingline Stapler, just watch the movie Office Space or if you need instant gratification turn to the Net at www.redswinglinestapler.com. Canon 40D, 1/100 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 800, two LED Litepanels with a little fill flash.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Norfolk Botanical Gardens. This section of lights was sycn'd to the holiday sound track broadcast on a low power FM radio station. The light show is worth the trip and the $10 buck a car admission. Canon 7D, 1/20 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Monday, December 12, 2011
- Drummer Sandy Gennaro of the Pat Travers Band and his Zildjian cymbals. The first Zildjian cymbals were created in 1623 by Avedis Zildjian, an alchemist who was looking for a way to turn base metal into gold; he created an alloy combining tin, copper, and silver into a sheet of metal that could make musical sounds without shattering. Still manufactured by the Avedis Zildjian Company for nearly 400 years, Zildjian is one of the oldest companies in the world. Canon 7D, 1/30 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II zoom at 200mm focal length.
Sunday, December 11, 2011
Saturday, December 10, 2011
Friday, December 9, 2011
Thursday, December 8, 2011
- The loyal fans of rock guitarist Pat Travers, "Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)", refer to themselves as "Hammerheads." Here Pat and his band rock the Liberty of the Seas as part of the 2011 Rock Legends Cruise. Canon 7D, 1/250 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, zoom at 70mm focal length.
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
- Robert's Transformer robots prepare for a big lunch time battle. On the left is Starscream a Decepticon disguised as an F15 fighter jet versus Optimus Prime leader of the Autobots. iPhone 4, using the Camera+ app, Freeform crop, Pinhole FX, and Thin White frame.
Monday, December 5, 2011
Edgar Winter is amazing!!! He invented the keyboard body strap early in his career, an innovation that allows him the freedom to move around on stage during his multi-instrument high-energy performances. He was also the first artist to feature a synthesizer as the main instrument in a song. "Frankenstein" revolutionized rock and roll and opened up a whole new world of possibilities with experimentation and sound - from Wikipedia. Canon 7D, 1/800 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
- ZZ Top was the headliner band for the Rock Legends Cruise. They not only dressed for success but rocked the ship big time for three straight nights. Also got to meet FM99's Rock Girl Lindsey who won a trip on the legends cruise. Canon 7D, 1/125 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800.
Saturday, December 3, 2011
- This cool parrot greeted us as we arrived at the Ardastra Gardens. Located just outside of downtown Nassau, Bahamas. There is no place quite like the Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Center. The 5½ acre park is part jungle, part gardens and part zoo. Canon G11, 1/60sec @ f/8.0, ISO 400.
Friday, December 2, 2011
Thursday, December 1, 2011
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
- LUV is the New York Stock Exchange symbol for Southwest Airlines. The airline once used the tag line "The Somebody Else Up There Who Loves You." I love flying Southwest and apparently many others do Southwest is the largest airline in the United States based on passengers carried in 2010. Canon G11, 1/125 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, converted to Black & White in Lightroom 3 using Silver Efex Pro 2.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
- The Moravian star is generally a 26-point form, composed of eighteen square and eight triangular cone shaped points. This shape is technically known as a Great Stellated Rhombicuboctahedron. Each face of the geometric solid in the middle, the Rhombicuboctahedron, serves as the base for the "stellations" or starburst points. The Moravian star is a popular illuminated piece of Advent or Christmas decoration but was most likely first developed as a geometry lesson at a Moravian Boy's School in Germany. Canon 7D, 1/200 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 200mm focal length.
Monday, November 28, 2011
- Added a few gold and silver jingle bells to the garland surrounding the front door. Not only goes it give it a cool look but the doorway now has that sleigh bell sound as you come and go. Canon 40D, 1/80 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 100mm macro.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
- Nimmo United Methodist Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia was built in 1791. The original structure still stands as the sanctuary, although it has undergone many changes over the years. It is the oldest surviving Methodist Church in continuous use in Virginia. Around 1840, the balcony was added as a slave gallery. It survives today as the only remaining structure directly related to the period of slavery in Princess Anne County, now part of modern day Virginia Beach. Records show that in 1846 Nimmo had 170 white members and 42 "colored members." During the civil war Nimmo used to house Union troops and as a hospital. Some of these troops left initials and names of their sweethearts carved into the posts supporting the balcony. Information from the church website. Canon G11, 1/250 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 100
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Friday, November 25, 2011
- Man - an eight and half foot tall bronze sculpture by Gaston Lachaise an American sculptor is part of the permanent collection at the Chysler Museum in Norfolk Virginia. It was originally commissioned but never realized in 1935 by the City of Philadelphia for Fairmount Park. Walter P. Chysler, Jr. independently commission the casting of Man in 1938. Canon G11, 1/20 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 800, converted to black and white in Lightroom 3 using Silver Efex Pro 2.
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
- There are always amazing colors at twilight. This is why photographers call this the golden hour. This is actually civil twilight, that time after the sun has completely set but the sky still has a little illumination. The signs are lit by the street light and car headlights. Canon G11, 1/20 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 800.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Slow Train." Canon 7D, 1/125 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 800, 85mm lens.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Saturday, November 19, 2011
- This is a Blue Mystique orchid that I saw today at Lowes and had to have. It is a really striking and unusual color. Mine has two stems with a total of 15 blooms. Canon40D, 1/250 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 100mm macro lens, micro Litepanel LED for illumination.
Friday, November 18, 2011
- I received some advice a while back that a photographer should look up, down and all around. I stopped one evening at the intersection of Princess Anne Road and Church Street in Norfolk Virginia and looked up to see this tree illuminated by the street lights. The tree stands next to McCullough Paradise Gardens an apartment complex owned by the United House of Prayer for All People which is located directly across Church Street. iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 400.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Looking across the labyrinth just inside the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Stained glass windows pour brightly colored light across the naive and north aisle. To left is a sculpture of St. Francis by Beniamino Bufano. Canon G11, 1/8 sec @ f/4.5, ISO 400.
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Landmark Theater in Richmond Virginia. " Formerly known as "The Mosque," the Landmark was constructed in 1926 by the Shriners as the ACCA Temple Shrine. The theater was designed in Moorish Revival style by Marcellus Wright, Sr. in association with Charles M. Robinson and Charles Custer Robinson. Canon 7D, 1/10sec @ f/3.5, ISO 800, 8mm fisheye lens.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
white Gibson Don Felder EDS-1275 #075 Double-Neck during "Young Man Blues" at Richmond Virginia's Landmark Theater last night. You can see Joe's Marshall stack complete with Bonamassa bobble heads just to the right. Canon 7D, 1/250 sec @ f/2.0, ISO 400, 85mm lens.