Wednesday, November 30, 2011
- LUV is the New York Stock Exchange symbol for Southwest Airlines. The airline once used the tag line "The Somebody Else Up There Who Loves You." I love flying Southwest and apparently many others do Southwest is the largest airline in the United States based on passengers carried in 2010. Canon G11, 1/125 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, converted to Black & White in Lightroom 3 using Silver Efex Pro 2.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
- The Moravian star is generally a 26-point form, composed of eighteen square and eight triangular cone shaped points. This shape is technically known as a Great Stellated Rhombicuboctahedron. Each face of the geometric solid in the middle, the Rhombicuboctahedron, serves as the base for the "stellations" or starburst points. The Moravian star is a popular illuminated piece of Advent or Christmas decoration but was most likely first developed as a geometry lesson at a Moravian Boy's School in Germany. Canon 7D, 1/200 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 200mm focal length.
Monday, November 28, 2011
- Added a few gold and silver jingle bells to the garland surrounding the front door. Not only goes it give it a cool look but the doorway now has that sleigh bell sound as you come and go. Canon 40D, 1/80 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 100mm macro.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
- Nimmo United Methodist Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia was built in 1791. The original structure still stands as the sanctuary, although it has undergone many changes over the years. It is the oldest surviving Methodist Church in continuous use in Virginia. Around 1840, the balcony was added as a slave gallery. It survives today as the only remaining structure directly related to the period of slavery in Princess Anne County, now part of modern day Virginia Beach. Records show that in 1846 Nimmo had 170 white members and 42 "colored members." During the civil war Nimmo used to house Union troops and as a hospital. Some of these troops left initials and names of their sweethearts carved into the posts supporting the balcony. Information from the church website. Canon G11, 1/250 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 100
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Friday, November 25, 2011
- Man - an eight and half foot tall bronze sculpture by Gaston Lachaise an American sculptor is part of the permanent collection at the Chysler Museum in Norfolk Virginia. It was originally commissioned but never realized in 1935 by the City of Philadelphia for Fairmount Park. Walter P. Chysler, Jr. independently commission the casting of Man in 1938. Canon G11, 1/20 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 800, converted to black and white in Lightroom 3 using Silver Efex Pro 2.
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
- There are always amazing colors at twilight. This is why photographers call this the golden hour. This is actually civil twilight, that time after the sun has completely set but the sky still has a little illumination. The signs are lit by the street light and car headlights. Canon G11, 1/20 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 800.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Slow Train." Canon 7D, 1/125 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 800, 85mm lens.
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Saturday, November 19, 2011
- This is a Blue Mystique orchid that I saw today at Lowes and had to have. It is a really striking and unusual color. Mine has two stems with a total of 15 blooms. Canon40D, 1/250 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 100mm macro lens, micro Litepanel LED for illumination.
Friday, November 18, 2011
- I received some advice a while back that a photographer should look up, down and all around. I stopped one evening at the intersection of Princess Anne Road and Church Street in Norfolk Virginia and looked up to see this tree illuminated by the street lights. The tree stands next to McCullough Paradise Gardens an apartment complex owned by the United House of Prayer for All People which is located directly across Church Street. iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 400.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Looking across the labyrinth just inside the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Stained glass windows pour brightly colored light across the naive and north aisle. To left is a sculpture of St. Francis by Beniamino Bufano. Canon G11, 1/8 sec @ f/4.5, ISO 400.
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Landmark Theater in Richmond Virginia. " Formerly known as "The Mosque," the Landmark was constructed in 1926 by the Shriners as the ACCA Temple Shrine. The theater was designed in Moorish Revival style by Marcellus Wright, Sr. in association with Charles M. Robinson and Charles Custer Robinson. Canon 7D, 1/10sec @ f/3.5, ISO 800, 8mm fisheye lens.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
white Gibson Don Felder EDS-1275 #075 Double-Neck during "Young Man Blues" at Richmond Virginia's Landmark Theater last night. You can see Joe's Marshall stack complete with Bonamassa bobble heads just to the right. Canon 7D, 1/250 sec @ f/2.0, ISO 400, 85mm lens.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Friday, November 11, 2011
- This is a static display of an old Nike Ajax surface to air missile. Developed and deployed in the 1950's these missile systems resulted in my Dad's transfer to Fort Bliss in El Paso Texas where he was assigned to the Air Defense Command. There he became a trainer of National Guard troops operating Nike sites throughout the country. He remained involved with the Nike systems though his retirement from the Army in 1966 and then with the Civil Service maintaining the radar tracking systems until they were deactivated in the mid 1970's as part of the SALT I treaty. This one still points to sky at Air Power Park in Hampton Virginia. Canon 40D, 1/100 sec @ f/16.0, ISO 100.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
I cannot touch thy hand nor see thy face,
never more shall press my lips to thine,
sleep within thy lonely resting place.
Thou will not wake to any words of mine.
Farewell my son I leave you in God's keeping.
His will for thee at rest from all earth's care.
Farewell my Willie, farewell my darling.
iPhone 4, converted to black & white.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
- An close up look at Braille devised in 1825 by Louis Braille, a blind Frenchman. The Braille system is a method that is widely used by blind people to read and write, and was the first digital form of writing. Canon 40D, 1/500 sec @ f/10.0, ISO 800, 100mm macro lens at 1:1 and luminated from the side by an LED Litepanel.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Monday, November 7, 2011
Sunday, November 6, 2011
- This is the view of the Chesapeake Bay from the Coastal Living 2011 Ultimate Beach House in the East Beach neighborhood of Norfolk Virginia. It was a really cool house with lots of interesting features but the best was it's view and location on the beach in East Ocean View. Canon 1/1000 sec @ f/4.5, ISO 400.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Friday, November 4, 2011
Thursday, November 3, 2011
San Francisco historic cable car routes. The Cable Car Barn & Powerhouse was built in 1879 and then mostly leveled by the 1906 earthquake. Rebuilt on the same site the powerhouse continues to pull the cable cars up and down the steep streets of the great city. More than 140 years later the cable technology is still fascinating to watch. The Cable Car Barn & Powerhouse also houses the Cable Car Museum where you can watch the system at work. Canon G11, 1/8 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 800, converted to black and white.