Built in 1855 the Old Point Loma Lighthouse at the entrance of San Diego Bay only operated for 36 years before being replaced. The lighthouse was constructed atop the cliffs on Point Loma with the light 422 feet above the water below. As a result, it was often shrouded in fog and invisible to the mariners it was intended to guide. So on March 23, 1891, the light was extinguished and moved to the New Point Loma Light just 100 yards closer to the shore but nearer the cold Pacific shore and clearer nights. The lighthouse as seen from the Pacific side, Canon G15, 1/1600 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 200. Looking up at the five foot tall 3rd order Fresnel lens from atop the stairway, 1/125 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 200. Finally the view looking down the stairway from the top landing, 1 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 200.