Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Yep, this hyacinth is in full bloom in my backyard at least 4 weeks early. Sure smelled like Spring while getting close to take this picture. It has been an amazingly (fingers crossed - knock on wood) mild winter here in the southeast corner of Virginia. I still have oregano and basil going strong in the planters on the deck. Hopefully we can go another 4 to 6 weeks without a major cold snap. I bet I just jinxed that by staying it - stay tuned for the coming snow pictures. Canon 7D, 1/160 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 400, 100mm macro with two LED litepanels.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Saturday, January 28, 2012
The Wells Theatre in Norfolk Virginia, opened on August 27, 1913. The poured-in-place, steel-reinforced concrete structure was technologically advanced for the period. The Wells' ornate decoration made the theatre the flagship of Wells Amusement Enterprises, and continues today as a well preserved example of Beaux-Arts Classicism, a National Historic Landmark and home to the Virginia Stage Company. Canon G11, 1/10 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 400.
Friday, January 27, 2012
- Parked next to a cool 1962 Ford Thunderbird this afternoon. Dad always liked and wanted a "T-Bird". This one wasn't restored but in very good original condition for a 50 year old car. Dad never got his T-Bird but we did have a more practical family car, a 1966 Ford Fairlane 4 door sedan with the same 390 cubic inch engine that was standard in the T-Bird. This was the car I learned to drive in and as a teenager driving that 335 horsepower "family" sedan was nothing but trouble waiting to happen. Canon G11, 1/40 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 400.
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
- Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh..." - Alex from A Clockwork Orange. After 1,119 daily photos and blog posts, I finally get to use a quote from a A Clockwork Orange. I know it's lame, but what the heck, it's my blog. Canon 7D, 1/200 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 400, 100mm macro, three light sources.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
- Well it didn't feel like winter today but the sky was really cool at sunset tonight. This is looking south on Colonial Avenue at Onley Road in Norfolk, Virginia. It's great to be driving with the top down in January. iPhone 4, 1/50 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 100.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Sunday, January 22, 2012
Saturday, January 21, 2012
- The warming lamps at Terrapin's restaurant in Virginia Beach awaiting the next masterpiece from Chef Rodney Einhorn. One of the top fine dining restaurants in Virginia was jammed tonight as we enjoyed dinner with our friends Susan and Duane. This is Virginia Beach "Restaurant Week" with special deals, next week begins Downtown Norfolk's "Restaurant Week", so much great food, so little time. Canon G11, 1/25 sec @ f/4.5, ISO 400, converted to black and white using Silver Efex Pro 2. verted to black and white using Silver Efex Pro 2.
Friday, January 20, 2012
- Tetraphobia is an aversion to or fear of the number 4. It is a superstition most common in East Asia. In these countries, these floor numbers containing the number 4 are often skipped in buildings. In Hong Kong, some apartments such as Vision City and The Arch skipped all the floors from 40 to 49. Immediately above 39 is 50, leading many who are not aware of tetraphobia to believe that some floors are missing. - from Wikipedia. Canon G11, 1/8 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800 converted to black and white in Picasa using "highlight" color.
Thursday, January 19, 2012
- Robert peering down his make believe tunnel. Getting a 5 year old male child to hold still for a full half second exposure is just plain luck. It was pretty much the max of his attention span today. Well come to think of it, that's pretty the max of my attention span everyday. Canon G11, 0.6 seconds @ f/3.2, ISO 800.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
This biker followed me on Virginia Beach Boulevard. I looked in my rear view mirror at a stoplight and he looked pretty cool illuminated by brake lights. Lucky for me the camera was sitting right there in passenger seat so I took this image looking into the rear view mirror. The low light image has lots of digital noise which is normally not desirable. However, I think it kind of adds to this surreal image. Canon G11, 1/5 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 800.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
- The bare tree says winter but today's temperature in Norfolk Virginia reached 68 degrees. Took this twilight photo from the car with the top down. Back to reality tomorrow, afternoon high around 42. Canon G11, 1/200 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800.
Monday, January 16, 2012
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial early this morning in Norfolk, Virginia. Dr. King visited Norfolk and southeastern Virginia many time and was scheduled to come back to Norfolk in early April 1968 but postponed the visit to go to Memphis to support the sanitation workers strike. He was assassinated there on April 4, 1968. Check out the audio version of The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. (1998), ed. Clayborne Carson. I highly recommend this version read by LeVar Burton in a Grammy Award winning performance which also contains recordings of many speeches and famous oratory of Dr. King. A must listen for anyone who is a student of leadership. Canon G11, 1/800 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 200.
Sunday, January 15, 2012
- It's been over month since the last cat picture on my blog so Sherlock accommodated me today by being still long enough to take his picture. Handsome devil isn't he? Tomorrow sister Sasha will get into the act. Canon 40D, 1/125 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 800, 100mm focal length.
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Friday, January 13, 2012
This public art is at Civic Plaza in Norfolk Virginia. It sits in front of the General District Court building. I was unable to find any information about it. Norfolk has a lot of great public art throughout the City. During the course of my 2012 365 project, I will try to document much of it. iPhone 4, 1/1000 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 80, Camera+ app.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
- I parked my car in the Bank Street garage in Norfolk Virginia and this view was straight in front of me. I saw this image in my mind and fortunately the capture delivered what I saw. I haven't thought of anything interesting or witty to say about the photo but there's something in it that I'm drawn to. I hope you like it. Canon G11, 1/200 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 400, converted to black and white using Silver Efex Pro 2 in Lightroom 3.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
- The sign on the old location of Harry's BBQ on Norfolk Virginia's Granby Street. is down to just one "s". They moved around the corner on Tazewell Street in 2007 but their old sign has remained lit for almost 5 years. iPhone 4, 1/120 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 125, Camera+ app.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Maui Jim customer for life. I bought a pair of these sunglasses on Ocracoke Island in 2008. About a year later I dropped them when loading some stuff into my trunk and didn't realize it. I then backed over them with the car, leaving half the glasses pretty mangled. I had read about Maui Jim's legendary customer service so I thought I'd see if they could repair the sunglasses and replace the lens. I mailed them away with a service form and check for $10.00. A few weeks latter I received a package and letter from Maui Jim saying they weren't able to fix my old sunglasses but this one time they would provide me a replacement pair. How cool is that? I now own three pairs of Maui's, customer for life. Canon G11, 1/2000 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 200.
Monday, January 9, 2012
Sunday, January 8, 2012
- A view of Princess Anne Road looking through one of the hundreds of storm drain pipes waiting to be installed near the Kempsville intersection in Virginia Beach, Virginia . Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, 1/500 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 80.
Saturday, January 7, 2012
- The aliens have landed!
It’s distressing, but they’re here.
They piloted their flying saucer
through our atmosphere.
They landed like a meteor
engulfed in smoke and flame.
- from The Aliens Have Landed at Our School! by Kenn Nesbitt
The Norfolk Scope, iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 500.
Friday, January 6, 2012
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Picasa 3.9 results in a unique image. It kind of follows the "Paint the Town Red" concept Norfolk had going this past October. This trash can is at the northwest corner of Granby and Freemason Streets in Norfolk, Virginia. Canon G11, 1/320 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 200.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
- French for 'against daylight', refers to photographs taken when the camera is pointing directly toward a source of light. Contre-jour produces backlighting of the subject. This effect usually hides details, causes a stronger contrast between light and dark, creates silhouettes and emphasizes lines and shapes. The sun, or other light source, is often seen as either a bright spot or as a strong glare behind the subject. Source - Wikipedia. Canon G11, 1/125 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 400.
Monday, January 2, 2012
- The sun sets over the Lynnhaven River in Virginia Beach, Virginia tonight. We had an early dinner at one of our favorite places in Virginia Beach, Bubba's. As you can tell the view is second to none, the seafood is fresh and everyone is friendly. It was a little too cold and windy for dining on the outside deck tonight. I recommend Bubba's to everyone visiting Virginia Beach.
The general composition rule is to avoid the horizon line being right in the middle of the picture. The preferred placement is one third from the top or bottom but I wanted to frame this picture with the outside deck. So rule are made to be broken, hope you like the image. Canon G11, 1/320 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 200.
Sunday, January 1, 2012
- 2012 started out with a beautiful day here in Virginia Beach, VA. This afternoon we went to Sandbridge Beach to take some photos. My wife Cindy is starting her own 365 scrapbook project for 2012 so I guess I'm starting project 365 number 4. Well here's a photo of contrails crisscrossing the clear blue sky for picture 1 of 365. I am making no promises to keep this up all year but right now it's kind of in my blood. iPhone 4, 1/200 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 80, Camera+ app, fisheye lens.