Monday, April 30, 2012
A Good Egg
- According to Robespierre, "Omelets are not made without breaking eggs." But according to the more authoritative source Stephen Colbert, "You CAN make an omelet without breaking eggs. It's just a really bad omelet." Canon 7D, 1/1250 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 800, 100mm macro.
Sunday, April 29, 2012
Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day
>Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day is an international event created to promote and celebrate the art of pinhole photography. Photographers are encouraged to take some time off from the increasingly technological world we live in and to participate in the simple act of making a pinhole photograph. I hope you like the unusual beauty of this historical photographic process. Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day is held each year on the last Sunday in April.
This is a picture of our house in the Carolanne Farms neighborhood in Virginia Beach, VA, USA. Exposure time 4 seconds, ISO 100, estimate pinhole at ~f/64. Canon 5D Mark II with homemade pinhole using a plastic camera body cap.
Saturday, April 28, 2012
- The Coca-Cola Freestyle machine features over 100 different Coca-Cola drink products and custom flavors. The machine allows users to select from mixtures of flavors of Coca-Cola branded products which are then individually dispensed. The cabinetry was designed by the Italian automotive design firm Pininfarina whose current automobile designs includes the amazing Ferrari 458 Italia. So I guess you could call this the "Ferrari" of drink machines. iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 125, Camera+ app.
Friday, April 27, 2012
Support Your Local Book Store
- Made a visit today to one of our favorite local bookstores, AFK Books Music & Movies. They sell mostly "like new" books, CDs, DVD,s and an amazing collection of vinyl records. They also buy your old books, tunes and movies. You don't get a lot for them but every bit helps in paying for the new stack we haul back home. Canon Powershot SD870 IS, 1/40 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 200.
Thursday, April 26, 2012
- My latest PEZ dispenser acquisition is Ferb Fletcher. Ferb and his step brother Phineas Flynn are the stars of the animated series Phineas and Ferb. Creators Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh worked together on the 1990's Nickelodeon classic series Rocko's Modern Life. As I was working on this post, my son Mike pointed out some rather significant trivia related to Phineas and Ferb. The boy's father, Lawrence Fletcher, is voiced by Richard O'Brien who wrote the cult musical The Rocky Horror Show and appeared in the film as the character Riff Raff. Of course Ferb is the deuteragonist, from the Greek deuteragonistes meaning second actor or typically the second most important character. Canon 7D, 1/2500 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 800, 100mm macro lens, and two LED litepanels.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
- A total tower of "Total" at today's promotion event at the MacArthur Station in downtown Norfolk. iPhone 4, f2.8, ISO 80.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
- Definition: "a feeling that you are happy and your mind and emotions are well balanced" Macmillan Dictionary. This is the end result of this little miracle. I bought my first Harmony remote back in 2003 to control with one button a myriad of home entertainment devices. It brought harmony back to our household and replaced pages of instructions on how to watch programming from different sources. No more set the TV to Input 1, the receiver to audio input 2, A/V switch to position B; so on and so forth. I now have two of these babies and could not live without them. Canon 7D, 1/50 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 1600, 100mm macro.
Monday, April 23, 2012
In The Sun
- The Tide pulls into the Civic Plaza Station in Norfolk Virginia during a brief period of afternoon sunshine. iPhone 4, f2.8, ISO 80, with Olloclip fisheye lens, Camera+ app.
Sunday, April 22, 2012
Waiting to Serve
- Sparkling clear wines glasses await their turn to hold your favorite vintage. Canon G10, 1/30 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 400.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet on the seat
Of a bicycle built for two !
By Harry Dacre, 1892
iPhone 4, 1/200 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 80.
Friday, April 20, 2012
Inside the new chapel at Norfolk's Freemason Street Baptist Church is this stained glass window featuring Gabriel's Horn in the center. The bright gold horn is also found atop the church's steeple which was the tallest point in the City in the later half of the 19th century. Gabriel's Horn refers to the tradition identifying the Archangel Gabriel as the angel who blows the horn to announce Judgment Day. Canon 5D Mark II, 1/250 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 400, 50mm prime lens.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
It's a Knockout
- In the past few days the Knockout roses have exploded with new blooms. It's pretty hard to beat the beauty of a single red rose. Canon 5D Mark II, 1/500 sec @ f/4.0, ISO 800, 105mm, light from a single LED Litepanel.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
The Tide Comes In
The Tide comes in to the Norfolk State Station. The Hampton Roads Transit light rail carried its one millionth passenger yesterday reaching that milestone five months ahead of projections. Canon G1X, 1/1250 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 200, converted to black and white using the Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in in Lightroom 4.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
To The Rescue
- Modern antibiotics come to rescue me from a sinus infection. In my case it was the old standby 500mg of Amoxicillin made by West-Ward Pharmaceuticals of Eatontown, New Jersey. Canon 7D, 1/500 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 800, 100mm macro lens.
Monday, April 16, 2012
*$(% but I still got a photo for today. Hopefully I can get a good night's sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow. I have always been a fan of NyQuil although its not as good after they took out the pseudoephedrine in 2006. You can still get the "good stuff" called NyQuil D but it is behind the counter at the pharmacy. Canon 7D, 1/40 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 800, 100mm and one LED Litepanel that the bottle is sitting on.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
Any body up for a game of onesies, twosies, threesies, foursies, fivesies? Today jacks come in these soft neon rubber variety rather than the painted metal ones I remember as a kid. Canon 7D, 1/200 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 100mm macro lens.
Saturday, April 14, 2012
- The trademark orange dash lights of BMW with a neon outline effect added through Google's Picasa. iPhone 4, 1/15 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 1000.
Friday, April 13, 2012
light a night bloomer
behold magnificence of spring
yellow and purple
My first haiku seemed appropriate for this lovely iris. Canon 7D, 1/1600 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 1600, 100mm macro, two LED Litepanels, one below and one to the left.
Thursday, April 12, 2012
- The patio strawberries are in full bloom. This variety is "June-bearing" and I should see some ripe berries by late May. Take a close look at this small bloom just to the left of center and notice the small unwelcome pest already at work. Canon 7D, 1/125 sec @ f/14.0, ISO 1600, 100mm macro lens taken at night with two LED Litepanels for illumination.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
What a Set of Pipes
- Now that's what I call a great set of pipes. The pipe organ at Freemason Street Baptist Church in Norfolk, Virginia. Canon 5D Mark II, 1/8 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 50mm prime lens.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Monday, April 9, 2012
Sunday, April 8, 2012
Lady Bug Style
Saturday, April 7, 2012
The Big Ones
- Robert went for the big eggs at the Eater egg hunt at Kempsville Baptist Church in Virginia Beach today. They told him he could only get 12 eggs, so he figured the bigger the better. Thant's Grandpa's boy! Canon 5D Mark II, 1/2500 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, 70-200 zoom at 180mm focal length.
Friday, April 6, 2012
- Looking up in the atrium in the brand new Lyman Beecher Brooks Library at Norfolk State University. The new libray opened this past January and is an amazing addition to the NSU campus. The architecture, technology and collection are all very impressive. I toured the facility with members of the City of Norfolk's Slover Memorial Library project just now getting underway. When it opens in late 2014, the Slover will bring state of the art library services back to downtown Norfolk. It's an exciting project to be a part of. iPhone 4, Olliclip fisheye lens withe Camera+ app.
Thursday, April 5, 2012
Don't Eff It Up
- The sign say's it all. The bar at Hell's Kitchen in Norfolk Virginia. Canon G1X, 1/10sec @ f/5.8, ISO 800.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
heritage row" and represent some of the oldest of Norfolk's remaining commercial buildings from the late 1800's. Similar neighboring buildings fronting Main Street were torn down in 2007 to make way for a hotel/convention center that never came about leaving a vacant fenced in lot on the site. The lot now referred to as "The Plot" is being converted into a pop-up park using shipping containers. That's progress, I guess. Canon G1X, 1/125 sec @ f/9.0, ISO 200, 60mm focal length.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
- This photo of the Battleship Wisconsin as reflected in the Suntrust building in downtown Norfolk has an almost abstract look after applying a little HDR effect. Still not sure if I like it but thought it was a different view of an often photographed Hampton Roads landmark. Canon G11, 1/320 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 200.
Monday, April 2, 2012
DE in B&W
A rainy morning turned into a beautiful sunny day. I looked up while walking down Plume Street in Norfolk Virginia at the Dominion Enterprises tower lit by the bright sun. The light stone against the dark blue sky dotted with clouds screamed "take this picture." So I did using my iPhone 4. Taken with Camera+ with the Clarity and "Ansel" B&W effects applied in the app.
Sunday, April 1, 2012
- This is my first "First Sunday" project. A soon to open Iris bud stands among the tall green foliage. Snapchick issued a challenge on the first Sunday of each month to focus on composition and creativity rather than high tech camera gear. The challenge was to use your oldest digital camera, set it on a high ISO and a low resolution. The idea is to show what the photographer can do rather than what the camera can do. This photo was taken with my first DSLR a vintage 2003 Canon Digital Rebel aka 300D, 1/2000 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 1600 (the camera's highest setting) using a 50mm prime lens.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)